Summertime is just around the corner. Most of us make all kinds of plans to get outside and play. Whether it be travels to favorite places, chasing kids to activities, spending time in the yard or on the golf course, we keep plenty busy. Summer is for living.
Nothing hampers the summer fun like spending time in the house cooking and cleaning up the messes. Trust me on that. My kids can turn a clean kitchen into a wild wreck within minutes. There is a secret weapon that can help — hamburger. It’s easy cooking and fairly pain-free cleanup.
Now, how odd is that? Yes, the beauty of burger. The forgotten cuts. The value meats. The “what’s left over” at the meat processor’s table. Call it what you will. This most versatile meat in the freezer can make all the difference. Burger, ground meat, ground beef — they all mean the same thing. It is packed with flavor and so easy to fix. Hamburger is also easy on the food budget. Taste and value. What’s not to love?
There are so many options from the simple hamburger to casseroles, salads and all kinds of possibilities. Your imagination is the only thing holding you back when it comes to burger.
The sizzle of burger brings eaters to the table. The best part is that ground beef is easy and fast. Isn’t is nice to know there is a simpler way to cook in summer!
It’s no surprise most of us have a love affair with the hamburger. Just think about our fascination with hamburger:
- On average, Americans eat three burgers a week
- Of all the sandwiches made in American restaurants, the burger accounts for 40% of sales
- Americans consume more than 250 pounds of hamburger each year
- The “hamburger” sandwich was introduced during the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis
- Lean burger is packed full of protein, iron and vitamins to boost your immune system
The tenderloins and prime ribs might get all the attention, but it’s burger that makes our life manageable. Think about all the possibilities with hamburger this summer.
When there’s nothing for dinner, or a group of hungry eaters waiting for something good, here are a couple fast and tasty recipes. Enjoy and have a great summer!
One Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1/4 parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot, add onions, garlic and ground beef; cook for 6-8 minutes, or until meat is cooked through. Drain off the fat.
2.Add tomato paste, broth, water, oregano, basil, black pepper, mix well; bring to a boil
3. Add spaghetti. Make sure sauce covers the spaghetti. Stir frequently to keep the spaghetti and sauce combined. Simmer for 17-20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
4. Serve immediately topped with fresh parmesan cheese.
30 minutes to prepare
12 ounces of lean burger
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp of salt
1 large onion peeled and cut into thick slices
1 (10 oz) package of your favorite lettuce
1/1/2 cups of chopped tomato
3/4 cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/3 cup of mayonnaise
1/4 cup of unsalted ketchup
2 tablespoons of water
Form the burger into patties, season and cook on medium heat. Add onions and cook 5-6 minutes. Cut the burger into small pieces. Set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, combine mayo, ketchup and water. In a larger bowl, combine burger and cooked onions, lettuce, tomatoes and ingredients from the smaller bowl. Top with cheese and any other favorite veggies.